Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I'm coocoo for coconut

When I was about 3 years old and my sister was at her dance class, my mom and her friend Catherine who's daughter was also in the class would take me to the cafe across the street and I would always order a chocolate-dipped coconut macaroon. Catherine would always ask for a taste, and I would reluctantly let her have some, but to freak me out she would say "Oh don't worry Kelsey, I just want the chocolate part", since she knew that was my favorite part.
Almost 14 years later and I still remember those days, so this year at her annual New Years day soup party, I decided it was only right that I made chocolate-dipped coconut macaroons.

I looked around online at different recipes, and ultimately chose one from Joy of Baking, based on the picture, because I wanted them to come out as close to the ones that I used to order at the cafe as possible.

Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons:

4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup cake flour, sifted
3 cups sweetened shredded coconut

1. In a stainless steel bowl, placed over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, and salt. When this mixture is warm to the touch, and nice and creamy, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, flour, and coconut. Cover and refrigerate for about two hours, or until firm.

2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

3. Place small mounds (heaping tablespoons) of the batter on the parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing several inches apart. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes and then place on a wire rack to cool.

4. Once completely cooled, dip halfway in melted chocolate and set on a parchment-lined tray. Chill until chocolate is set, about 5-10 minutes, before serving.





They came out perfectly. I think they were a little more meringue-y and a little less coconut-y than the ones from the cafe, but they were just right.
When Catherine saw what they were, she instantly understood why I made them and gave me a huge hug. I think that it was a good idea making them for the party.
Sorry, I do realize that this post sounds like a writing assignment for like a 4th grade journal, but whatevs, I was out of school for 2 weeks and my brain has almost entirely turned to mush. I promise my writing quality will improve in the near future.

Peace. Love. Coconut.

1 comment:

  1. gotta love the coconut! everyone loves a good coconut macaroon :)

    ReplyDelete