Sunday, May 9, 2010

Suga Mama

First off, I would just like to announce to the world that I love my mommy and appreciate everything she does. ♥
So happy Mother's Day to all the hot mamma's out there.
Every year for Mother's Day my dad and I (and my sister, when she's around) make my mom her favorite things for breakfast: bacon, eggs, and muffins. My dad is in charge of the bacon (and this year the eggs), and I of course made the muffins. =]
Since we have a great meyer lemon tree in our front yard, and I know how much my mom love's lemon, I decided this year to make her lemon poppyseed muffins with a vanilla glaze. I got the recipe from my favorite cupcake book, Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans.
Okay, truth. They are actually technically "cupcakes", but hell, I like them, my mom likes them, if we want cupcakes for breakfast, by golly we will have cupcakes for breakfast and call them muffins and there is nothing anyone can do about it!


Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (Cupcakes)
Adapted from Elinor Klivan's book Cupcakes!


CUPCAKES/MUFFINS

1 Cup ubleached all-purpose flour
1/2 Tsp. baking powder
1/2 Tsp. baking soda
1/4 Tsp. salt
1/2 Stick butter
3/4 Cup sugar
2 Large eggs
1 Tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tsp. grated lemon zest
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1/2 Cup buttermilk



1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin cups with paper cupcake liners.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and slat into a medium bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl , using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until smoothly blended and lightened in color, about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until each is blended and the batter looks creamy, about 1 minute. Mix in the vanilla, lemon zest, and poppy seeds.
4. On a low speed, add half the flour mixture, mixing just to incorporate it. Mix in the buttermilk to blend it. Mix in the remaining flour mixture until it is incorporated and the batter looks smooth.
5. Fill each paper liner about 1/4 full (about 3 1/2 Tbsp). Bake just until the tops feel firm, about 18 minutes.
6. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Ice or don't ice as you please. Makes about 12 cupcakes.

Sugar Glaze (the result of my experimenting)

GLAZE:
2-2 1/4 Cups confectioners sugar
3 Tbsp. milk
1/2 Tsp. vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients together. THATS ALL FOLKS!


Happy Mother's Day again, y'all. I'm about to go spend the day with my mommy, give her soap I bought during my only break at ballet yesterday, and watch the movie Babies. Have fun with your mommies too, yo.

Peace. Love. Muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment